Dr Sharon Varney is a specialist in developing people and organisations – someone who thrives on creating clarity in messy and ambiguous change situations. She works at a strategic level, helping to create more effective organisations, and engages at a very human level, supporting people to manage personal change and transition.
Sharon developed her change expertise working as a senior manager in large, complex organisations. She was group head of learning and communications for a global organisation in the offshore oil and gas business. Previously she was Vice President for international learning and development at a US bank.
Now Sharon employs her cross-sector expertise to support senior leaders and directors within private, public and not-for-profit organisations. That may involve working with them to create a compelling people strategy; to develop internal OD capability; to re-design organisations; or to develop productive and effective leadership communities.
Sharon holds a doctorate from Henley Business School. Her doctoral research, which has a very practical edge, explored the complex dynamics of organisational change and the role of change leaders within it. Sharon has also conducted leading-edge research for Roffey Park Institute and the Institute for Employment Studies and has published reports on organisation design and development, learning and employee engagement. She is a regular speaker on OD for the CIPD.
ORGANISATION DEVELOPMENT (OD)
- Cultural and behavioural change in complex organisations
- Organisation design
- Employee engagement
- Developing your internal OD capability
- Discovering patterns of change
- Senior leadership development
- Coaching and action learning (including virtual action learning)
- Executive recruitment and selection
- Personality profiling
- MBTI & OPQ accredited
LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT
- Developing a learning culture
- Talent development
- Global development programmes – from graduates to top managers
- Infrastructure solutions – learning management systems, e-learning
- Bringing brand values to life
- Large group events
- Action research
- Case studies
- Qualitative research
- Oil and gas
- Banking and finance
- Public sector
- International organisations
- UK & Ireland